RILEY - 14/6 PRODUCTION FIGURESas Old as the Industry, as modern as the Hour
Total Riley 14/6 ProductionRiley 14/6's were built from 1928 until 1934/5, although towards the end production was a mere trickle! Unfortunately, due to the chassis numbering systems used for the 14/6 models, it is nearly impossible to identify how many were built in total, let alone each year. Below is a rough approximation (please note this is radically reduced from previous figures proposed here).
Chassis No range
* Approx 40 of this range had 15/6 engines.
- 1928-35 - 14/6 launched with 14x200 chassis number.
- 1930-35 Edinburgh Saloon launched with 88E chassis numbers, later also used for Winchester. There is some confusion as to whether these chassis numbers were solely taken from the 200-1120 range, or whether they had their own numbers. 88E78 is the only identified Edinburgh (a 14/6) and clearly doesn't fit in the 200-1120 numbers, but equally 88E1017, the only known Winchester (a 15/6), cannot possibly be taken to suggest that over a 1000 of these models were built.
- 1933 - 12/6 launched and new range of 14/6 bodies, all using 44T chassis numbers. Figures have been produced proportionally from identified cars in 44T101-1165 range, the likely production for the year.
- 1934 - 44T continued with either 12/6 or 14/6 engines, again proportions used to generate production figure.
- 1935 - 44T now predominantly had 15/6 engine, with only a handful of 44T 14/6 engined cars
The last 14x model registered - 14L1120, an Alpine. Some Alpines were also given 44T chassis numbers.
15S930-960 Approx used for 15/6 Stelvio Models. A handful of 88E models also sold with 15/6 engines.
Model by ModelAlthough no precise records remain, it is still possible to collate details of known cars, and so suggest total production figures for each 14/6 model.
Below is a list of how many of each body were probably built on the Riley 14/6 Chassis. Anything with a projected total of 50 or less can be taken to be a guess.
|Alpine 14/6||14L; 44T||14||16||0||30||360|
|Alpine Tourer||14_; 14L||7||2||0||9||180|
|Sportsmans Coupe 14/6||14_||0||0||0||0||1?|