RILEY SPECS - ADVERTISINGas Old as the Industry, as modern as the Hour
In the early years, Riley used a variety of badges on their vehicles. From 1919 onwards, however, the now famous Blue Diamond was in use, adjusted slightly as the years rolled by. Below are the badges used by the company:
The variety of slogans or mottos used to promote the company on official literature was almost as varied as the badges used. Below are the more familiar:
1899-1904Today slogans, names and so on featuring a Royal or National reference are strictly managed and it is doubtful that a car company today would be able to use this name without some form of Royal endorsement. However, in the early 1900s there were no such restrictions and Riley used the Royal Riley name for a number of years to promote it's new powered machines.
King of Cars
1909-14As with the Royal Riley name, this slogan would probably not be allowed today. However, at the time it neatly followed the old Royal Riley name, and now that the company were producing fully fledged cars, it was seen as an appropriate step forward.
As old as the industry ...
1920-25The first half of Rileys now famous slogan was penned in 1920 and adorned all publicity material. Having originated in 1896, Riley could truly lay claim to being one of the oldest car producing companies in Britain, and this was a fact that they used to great advantage through until 1938.
... As Modern as the hour
1925-69Just 5 years later, the new slogan was expanded in 1925. The Riley 10.8 had been improved as the 11/40, and then the engine enlarged to make the 11.9. Whilst the basic design was nearing 5 years old, it still was one of the most modern and advanced cars available in 1925. Of course, with the arrival of the Nine in late 1926, the slogan had never been more true. For the next decade, Riley remained at the forefront of car engineering and design, justifying the slogan.
A British Thoroughbred
1939-41This slogan seems to have been used to promote the 1939 series 'Nuffield' cars.
1945-69After the war, the old slogan was quietly replaced with this new one, which succinctly summed up the Riley experience. Sadly, however, the slogan remained in use through until the BMC era, when such cars could hardly be claimed to encapsulate 'Magnificent Motoring' in quite the same way.
- You don't need to know a lot about cars to appreciate a Riley but the more you know, the more you appreciate.
- That's because the Riley is a car for connoisseurs of motoring.
- The incomparable engine and steering have been evolved from some of the most successful sports cars ever produced.
- 'Torsionic' independent front suspension and Girling hydro-mechanical brakes give you comfort and security.
- And the Riley was an individually-built car.
- Riley - As old as the industry - As modern as the hour.
- A joy to own - a dream to drive.
- With its long, low lines and elegant new styling, the Riley 1-1/2 litre saloon proclaims its good breeding and your own good taste wherever it goes.
- Its special appeal is to the discriminating motorist who expects 'all round' excellence in a car.
- The Riley has one of the most successful engines ever designed, matched by incomparable steering, superb road-holding, suspension and braking.
- For the sheer pleasure of driving there's nothing quite like a Riley - it's a car of rare character.
- You're right ahead - with the New Riley 1-1/2 litre saloon.
- No other 1-1/2 litre car gives you the same spirited performance with such consistent reliability. You're right ahead with safe, sure road-holding at speed, and incomparable steering. These are part of the Riley tradition.
- And the long, low lines of the luxurious body proclaim to all that this is one of England's outstanding cars.
- For the sheer pleasure of driving, there's nothing quite like a Riley 1-1/2 litre Saloon, built to give you years of Magnificent Motoring
- More attractive than ever - the 2-1/2-litre Saloon.
- You can shortly realise your ambition to own this superb car which more than lives up to the great name it bears.
- Its highly successful engine with the exclusive hemispherical head is matched by steering and suspension to warm the heart of motoring enthusiasts.
- Its tireless power and zest are a revelation in fast, safe motoring.
- And every detail in chassis and coachwork is craftsman-built to give you years of proud ownership.
- The great-hearted 2-1/2 litre Riley engine puts 100 m.p.h. safely at your command, and high average speeds in long distance travel.
- Much more than swift, comfortable transport, 'Riley Motoring' is always a delightful experience.
- For the sheer pleasure of driving choose a Riley.
- Everybody notices a Riley.
- The Riley draws admiring glances whereever it goes. It is "craftsman built" in every detail - a car of remarkable character.
- In its long, low lines, suggestive of speed, you get a hint of its racing heritage.
- But a glance cannot reveal all the qualities which have made the Riley so much admired by enthusiastic motorists all over the world.
- You need to sit at the wheel of a Riley to appreciate one of the most responsive and exciting cars ever built.
- It is a car that reflects your success and sound judgment.
- Riley for Magnificent Motoring.
- Here is a thoroughbred Riley of grace and power...swift and smooth running.
- Built by men of creative genius who have always designed cars around an ideal rather than a price; it combines acceleration and high speed with a sureness of road-holding which is quite outstanding.
- Performance, Safety and inherent Quality are characteristics responsible for Riley Individuality.